So according to Victoria’s Secret I can love my body if my waist is the size my thigh currently is, if I am 5’ 9”, if I have long slightly wavy brown or blonde hair, and if I am either white or one very specific shade of brown. Thanks for that, I’ll log that away.
 I’ve made kind of a follow up post here since this thing just like exploded and I’ve been getting messages about it.
God damn it.
I’ve read a lot of comments on the four-or-so times I saw this thing reblogged on my dash, all or most of which furiously shit all over Victoria’s Secret’s body choices for their campaign poster, and praise Dove for being real. And honestly neither of these are really all that great. The problem I have with BOTH OF THESE CAMPAIGNS is the lack of variety. I give Dove more props for having more “realistic” lighting and poses, and a better variety of hair styles and skin color… but both VS and Dove have the same type of body in their poster. All the VS ladies are just about the same shape, and the same goes for the Dove ladies. Why in the hell are people bitching that VS has the same body type when Dove is guilty of the same thing? Apparently it’s okay to leave out skinny women, because they get less flak from societ- OH WAIT NO IT’S NOT AND NO THEY DON’T
Skinny people get hate too. It’s the wacky paradox of society saying you have to be skinny or you’re unattractive, but if you’re skinny you’re sick and disgusting. The fact that skinny people generally get less hate and more screen time than heavy-set people does not make hating on them or completely leaving them out of the equation okay. All of these women are real women.
(Now, be aware, I’m going to be a little more general and expand the range of this rant I’m having to the entire body-shaming debate, not just this particular post.)
“Those skinny girls look sickly.” “Real women have curves!!” That’s awesome. Super progressive. Thanks for telling me that my body is awful, that I’m not a real woman, and that no one wants to fuck me because I’m just skin and bones. Newsflash: real women also have hip bones that stick out, and pointy elbows, and thighs that don’t touch. Otherwise, according to you, women like myself or the seven women at the top are not “real women.”
TL;DR: It pisses me right the fuck off when people cry out against body shaming by SHAMING OTHER BODIES.
I’m 22 years old. I’m 5’11”. I weigh an average of about 113lbs. I have a 23 year old sister who is just about the same as I am. We are both completely healthy.Both our mom and dad were tall and gangly and thin like we are until they hit their 30s. It’s just how we are. Contrary to popular belief, I get just as many awful comments about my weight as I get nice comments. For every “You’re so lucky you’re thin!” I get “YOU’RE ANOREXIC GO EAT A SANDWICH.” Now, I’m going to repeat myself: Skinny people get hate too. It’s the wacky paradox of society saying you have to be skinny or you’re unattractive, but if you’re skinny you’re sick and disgusting. The fact that skinny people generally get less hate and more screen time than heavy-set people does not make hating on them or completely leaving them out of the equation okay. All of these women are real women.
All of these bodies are beautiful. Be confident, be yourself, be healthy.
(also, not going to get into a big race discussion, but did anyone else notice that there are no Asian women represented here? just thought that was a little weird.)
OH SPIRITS LET ME LOVE YOU CENTURYCREEPER
No Asian OR Native women are represented in these, as far as I can tell (I complain, as a native-asian woman) and as an equally skinny girl (5’2” and 90lbs), THANK YOU FOR SPEAKING UP FOR US. I’m more tired than can be expressed of having my body shamed and then being told it doesn’t happen.
- sassironic reblogged this from heated
- itsonlysaraah reblogged this from alyssajoy11223
- itsonlysaraah likes this
- donniestyles likes this
- eesseennccee likes this
- alyssajoy11223 reblogged this from swallowedbythedeepbluesea
- mayspicer reblogged this from spazzyraptor
- weasled likes this
- mahalkitamegann likes this
- italianjewels likes this
- chileangalpurgreen likes this
- ashton-drums5sos reblogged this from fiftharmonyisdabomb
- fucking-hartbig reblogged this from ihartomybig
- fucking-hartbig likes this
- gigidiver reblogged this from sixxstanley
- thoughts-of-a-misfit reblogged this from sodapop-pepsicola
- thoughts-of-a-misfit likes this
- magmapotato reblogged this from elevenns
- magmapotato likes this
- ben-biliyomknk likes this
- banyolifi reblogged this from denizkokuluparfum
- kan-ga-roo likes this
- mileyninpatatesi reblogged this from icimdekiolukelebekler
- mileyninpatatesi likes this
- oreoluboreq likes this
- ihartomybig reblogged this from youtubesholytrinity
- ihartomybig likes this
- icimdekiolukelebekler reblogged this from kitaptanricasi
- icimdekiolukelebekler likes this
- fashionherefashionthere likes this
- patheticstyles reblogged this from iwasinfinitex
- sayeringulusu reblogged this from kulaklikladogmusum
- itsmedilek reblogged this from urlsitadilattaolankiz
- justlivefordreams likes this
- carebearheart reblogged this from sodapop-pepsicola
- carebearheart likes this
- fuckkthewholeuniverse likes this
- siyahbirdunya reblogged this from purplepeoplesblog
- siyahbirdunya likes this
- hamseyy likes this
- adetabirfanatik likes this
- amerikankorkuhikayesi likes this
- ohsnapitscinthya reblogged this from kayip-kar-tanesi
- payphonneee reblogged this from mrs-somerhalderr
- mrs-somerhalderr reblogged this from urlsitadilattaolankiz
- mrs-somerhalderr likes this
- isigikapatirmisin reblogged this from kulaklikladogmusum
- siyahisevenbeyazkiz likes this
- samingunluksalatasi reblogged this from urlsitadilattaolankiz
- mavihayaldunyam likes this